Sunday, May 3, 2009

Superwoman

Mom has inspired me to try growing my own vegetables. I first started with 3 buckets (see the 2nd pic) but soon found that I would need something bigger so...This is the before pic, except I had already started (oops). So this is the closest thing I have to before.
This is in my backyard. You can't tell from this pic, but basically our entire yard is weeds. I was very encouraged though because I found earthworms, ladybugs, rolly pollys and spiders in the yard. (They are all pretty beneficial bugs to have around.) In the soil I also mixed some organic mushroom compost.


My babies! Okay, I know that sounds weird, but when I got these guys they were all pretty small and now they are really starting to grow. I have become pretty obsessive, worrying that bugs are eating the leaves, they aren't growing right, etc., etc. The 2 on the left are tomato and the right is a bell pepper plant. I will definitely post when I get a tomato (if the squirrels or birds don't get to it first.)

AFTER! I was really proud of myself for this. All I had was a shovel and spade to dig up all this earth. It's about a 4X4 area. You can just make out the 3 rows from the pic. Cherry has decided that she likes this area and has taken to stepping through it. In fact, if you look at the row to the right toward the top of the pic, you can see paw prints. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that... I just planted 3 okra seeds and it has been raining like crazy here this whole week so I'm hoping they will emerge soon. My future plans for the garden are: carrots, spinach, garlic, red potatoes and sweet potatoes. I really felt like superwoman after this. Even though Clint had to pull out some of his med school training and massage my neck the next day!

3 comments:

  1. You ARE super woman! Props to you Whit! Brenton and I are always wanting to plant a garden every year but never get around to doing it. I must admit I am very impressed! :) Can't wait to watch those babies grow... keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I mention that your buckets are TOO cute! Love the bright colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm super impressed! All I have are my little herbs. And I'm afraid they might have drowned. I thought it would be safe to put them outside since it's warmed up so much, but it keeps pouring rain. Oops!

    ReplyDelete