Thursday, March 5, 2009

Book Blog

I decided that when I read a book I'm going to post it here. My mom used to (I don't know if she still does) write in a notebook the title of a book when she read it. I remember being amazed at how many books filled that notebook. I thought it was a pretty good idea and have tried to do that in the past. Since this forum is more permanent and convenient maybe I will keep up with it better here.


I just finished "The Prison Angel" by Mary Jordan and Kevin Sullivan. It is about a woman who grew up in Beverly Hills and later in life decided to give it up to go live in a small, cold cell in La Mesa, a prison in Mexico near Tijuana. She grew up Catholic but never liked the many strict rules it imposed. She decided to pave her own path. After 2 divorces the Catholic church would not let her become a nun, so one day, she made her own habit and went to live in the prison. Later on, after many years and hearing of all the amazing things she had done, a bishop let her become a nun. Her main goals were to love and care for the prisoners no matter what they had done. She fought to improve conditions for them and the guards within the prison. She met with everyone from the pope to some of the top men in the drug cartel world. I would definitely recommend the book to anyone. It really shows how pure Love can and should be, free of judgement and misconceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment