Friday, March 13, 2009

Book Blog

I just finished "Leaving the Saints" by Martha Beck. It is about a woman who grew up in a conservative Mormon household. In fact, her father was a very prominent member of the Church. She left Mormonism later in life and found her own faith. She writes how she grew up in a very dysfunctional family. There was abuse and sexual abuse. When she got older and had kids of her own she began a search for what she truly believed and when she researched some of the Mormon beliefs she felt that they didn't check out. She now believes in God but doesn't attend any type of church and doesn't prescribe to any religion. It was an okay read. She is a little weird for me. It did get me thinking about all the things that I truly believe in and why that is. So in that way it was a very good book. Also, she talked about how she believes God is in everything and I really loved that. Sometimes I get so busy and forget to see God in the little things. A sweet little lady from Curves, rain, my husband's smile, singing to the radio at the top of my lungs...

1 comment:

  1. Your comment made me laugh! We are a lot alike. When we were little, I thought we fought so much because we were different but maybe it's because we're so much alike. Wish we lived closer so we could get together and discuss books and coupons. :)
    Have you read Expecting Adam by Martha Beck? It's really good. It's the story of when she and her husband were both in grad. school and they found out she was pregnant with a child with Down's syndrome. Everyone told her to abort, but she felt the baby communicating with her, so she didn't. It's really sweet...a little weird at times, but good.

    ReplyDelete