Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Book Blog

Today I finished a book called "Animal, Vegetable Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. She also wrote "Poisonwood Bible". In it she documents her family's lives for a year of eating only local food. In their case they were able to make alot of the food and also they went to the local farmers market and bought from some of their neighbors directly. The reason they did it was to 1)prove that they could 2) raise awareness for the need to return to producing our own food. She brought up a lot of good points.

1) There is 2700 calories per person per day being produced in this country. Most of it comes from corn and soybeans. With 700 extra calories per person, that means they have to sell it. If you go by BMIs of Americans, you can tell they are definitely selling it. ( To hear some disturbing things about this epidemic of corn, corn, corn, watch King Corn. It's a documentary about corn production in the US)

2) She talks about the idea that everyone feels that they have to buy food cheap. Her feeling is that since we are consuming it, we should know where it came from and what all is in it. Sometimes this means buying more expensive things rather than always trying to save a dollar here or a dime there. (This one is hard for me, especially since we are on such a tight budget, but I think she does make a good point.)

3) Americans have forgotten how to sit down at a nice dinner and just enjoy the food. To savor th flavors and the company. So many times we rush and dinner is just one more chore to get done. She points out that in many cultures (even ones where women work outside of the home) people still take their time in preparing and eating their dinner. (I had a professor in college actually talk about how terrible it is that college students don't take the time to sit at a dinner table and enjoy the food they have prepared. I thought it was kind of strange at the time. Now, I think I know what he was talking about.)

4) The funnest part of this book was that she spent a lot of time talking about different vegetables. When they are ripe, what they look like when they flower, different cooking methods and even how to make your own cheese. (Some of the cheeses actually look pretty easy.)

How has it changed me? Well, I decided that I would try to buy more things that are in season at the time. Also, I have tried to do this in the past, but I try to check labels more on produce. If it came from anywhere other than this continent, I don't buy. One time I found oranges from Australia. Wow. Also, I decided to be more devoted to our farmers market. Lacie and I went last week so I am hoping to make a return trip soon.

Yes, all this stuff is a bit hippy-ish. (Mom would be so proud :)) But, I do think it is true. Our country was started on people that grew their own food. Now, more and more small time farmers are being bought out by the big guys. Plus, I really don't like the idea that chemicals that can kill birds and grasshoppers are being sprayed on the food that goes into my body. It's a big problem and I'm sure with people like Barbara things will improve. I would recommend the book. Even if you don't care about the politics. If you like food and want to learn just about the food itself. This is a great book.

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this! In fact, just now as I typed that, I thought, "Wait a minute. Do I have that book?" I think it actually might be sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. I have too many books. :) Anyway, thanks for the review. I've been trying to be a little better about eating locally and seasonally, too. We have a great farmer's market that starts in May. One thing that really made me think was hearing how much corn it takes to produce one pound of beef. So I've been trying to eat less meat. It's healthier and cheaper, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. Once you start learning about our food sources, it can be kind of disturbing. If you like documentaries, I would definitely recommend King Corn. It's a great film. I think you're going to love this book. I'm thinking I'm going to buy it for myself because it is really informative about vegetables. Things you probably wouldn't hear anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete