Thursday, April 2, 2009

It's Spring!!!

I really don't have much to say here, so if you are in a hurry, this would be one of those posts that are pretty pointless. Some of you know that I have been working for Curves for about 8 months now and that I also recently got a job at Calloway's nursery which will probably be just for the summer months. I will, hopefully, have something lined up for me in the fall if everything goes as planned! But anyway I just had to blog about the fact that it is spring! Around here it's been pretty cool for spring so I can't wait for those very short months where it's 75 as the high and sunny! I think it's my favorite time of the whole year. It just makes me happy. Anyway, I have high hopes for my flower beds and garden this year. What is awesome about working at a nursery is when people kill or damage plants and they bring them back, we can take them home and try to revive them. Today we were supposed to throw out a bunch of perfectly good plants because they were for display and they had been up for several months. I took them home with me and got 2 free plants out of the deal, plus lots of good potting soil. So here are my plans:

1.) lots of free or cheap native plants for my flower beds. One thing I have learned from the experts that work there is to buy native plants. They will thrive in the harsh temperatures and sometimes drought conditions we have in Texas better than anything else.

2.) again, native vegetable plants. For example, tomatoes, squash, onions, bell peppers, and okra when they come in season. I know right now we have tomatoes and peppers so I guess it's a bit early for everything else.

3.) depending on my harvest, I would really like to can my own okra this year. I have recipe for it that I have been wanting to use but buying it from the grocery store seems like cheating.


We shall see how it goes. I'm hoping to put some pics up of some of the flowers and things that I've got going on right now. Anyway, like I said, not a very interesting post but I'm really excited about it!

1 comment:

  1. Are these the same girls (you and Kayla) that I watched as teenage girls out to rule the world?!! I wouldn't have seen either of you tending a garden, canning, creatively pinching pennies, etc. You were fun to watch then and still fun to watch now. Keep posting--you girls are great!

    ReplyDelete